The U turn sign is a warning sign. This sign means that the driver is legally allowed to make a complete turn to go in the opposite direction.
U Turn Sign Meaning
U turn sign means the driver is legally allowed to turn his vehicle around to go back the way he came. But it is very important for you as a driver to know, when you can make a complete turn. At an intersection, if there is a U-turn-only sign or traffic signal and it allows you to make a U-turn, then you can legally make a complete turn in the opposite direction.
When Can You Make a U Turn
Generally, you can make a u turn if:
- There is a “U turn only” sign.
- There is a green left turn arrow or green light.
- There is no sign prohibiting it.
- You can make a U turn across a double yellow line when it is safe and legal.
- At the intersection, if there is a U-turn-only sign or traffic signal and it allows you to make a U-turn.
- In a residential area, if there is no vehicle approaching you within 200 feet, you can make a U-turn.
- There is an opening in the center divider on a divided highway AND it’s not reserved for emergency or law enforcement vehicles.
What does a U turn sign look like?
This sign looks like a diamond shape with a black arrow and border on a yellow background.
This question appeared in the following DMV Tests.