Discover the Soft Shoulder Sign meaning, color, shape, location, why it is important for safe driving and when you see a sign that says soft shoulder how you should respond. Recognize soft shoulder traffic sign and drive accordingly for safety on the road.
Soft Shoulder Sign Meaning
The soft shoulder sign is a warning sign which means you are approaching a road with an unpaved, soft, and maybe uneven shoulder. Driving on the shoulder of the soft shoulder road may result in losing control of the vehicle. Therefore, when you see a sign that says soft shoulder you should be careful and avoid driving on the shoulder of the soft shoulder road.
Soft Shoulder Road Sign Shape, Color, and Location
A Soft Shoulder Sign looks a diamond-shaped with black border and letters on a yellow or orange background. This sign is installed on the side of the road before the area where the shoulder of the road is not paved. The most common locations where you may find soft shoulder road signs are rural highways, construction areas, and country roads.
What does a Soft Shoulder sign mean in different road conditions?
The Soft Shoulder Sign means that the dirt on the side of the road is soft. Therefore, the drivers should not leave the road except in an emergency.
Whenever you are driving in a desert area, the soft shoulder sign means that if you pull off your vehicle on the shoulder then you may stuck in the sand. When you park on the shoulder in that area, you should keep two wheels on the paved surface if possible.
In some areas where it rains more often, soft shoulder traffic sign means that your vehicle may stuck in the mud. In the United States, you will see soft shoulder road signs in yellow and orange colors. The yellow sign is an unpaved road warning while the orange color sign warns the driver about the road construction ahead.
When your right wheels run onto a soft shoulder, what is the best way to get back on the road or highway?
When your right wheels run onto a soft shoulder while driving, you must behave calmly and effectively in order to restore control of your car safely.
- Remain calm when your right wheels run onto a soft shoulder and keep a steady grip on the steering wheel without making sudden movements.
- Avoid braking aggressively when your right wheels run onto a soft shoulder, it may cause loss of control or skidding.
- Release the accelerator gently and slow down to gain more control of your vehicle.
- Avoid sudden steering and guide your vehicle back onto the road gradually.
- Signal your intention before merging back into the traffic lane and always respect soft shoulder sign.
When you see a sign that says soft shoulder what should you do?
When you see a sign that says soft shoulder, you should follow these guidelines:
- This ‘Soft Shoulder sign’ indicates that the area on the side of the road is not as stable for driving as the main driving lanes.
- The Soft Shoulder Sign means that the dirt on the side of the road is soft, are not designed for regular driving; avoid driving onto the soft shoulder.
- If you experience vehicle trouble, you can use the soft shoulder as a temporary stopping area.
- When you need to use the soft shoulder for an emergency stop, reduce your speed gradually as you move onto it.
- When you’re pulling over onto the soft shoulder due to any reason, turn on your hazard lights to alert other drivers.
- Soft shoulder signs are there to provide information about the road condition ahead.
This question appeared in the following DMV Tests.